Luumäki church and church hill
Let your mind rest in the calm environment of Luumäki church
The first church was built on the church hill in the mid-16th century. The second church, built in 1731, was destroyed in a fire in 1839. The present church, designed in the Empire style by C. L. Engel, was completed in 1845. The shape of the church is a cross with inclined inner corners and a large dome in the middle. There are about a thousand seats in the church. In 1913, the church was renovated according to the plans of architect Ilmari Launis. The buildings on the church hill also include a belfry built in 1876 and a parish hall built in the 1920s. The stretcher room on the edge of the cemetery is made of church shingles. There are also two graveyards on the hill. These contain various monuments, such as a soldiers’ graveyard, a memorial to President P.E. Svinhufvud, and a monument to the Finnish Civil War.
The road to Luumäki church hill starts at the junction of Highway 6 south of Rantsilanmäki. The distance to the Luumäki church hill from there is about 2.5 km. The Luumäki church hill is an excellent place for enjoying the beautiful historical setting, and for enjoying the calm and restful atmosphere.