Partakoski cultural landscape
Partakoski village is located between Lake Saimaa and Lake Kuolimo
The village has two rapids, Partakoski and Kärnäkoski, the power of which was harnessed by mills during the 1700–1800s.
The clean rapids nowadays flow naturally from Lake Kuolimo to Lake Saimaa and are a clear and attractive sight to see in South Finland. A backwater on the lower side of the rapids remains unfrozen for a large area, and quite often a small bird from the north, the white throated dipper, can be seen spending the winter alongside the rapids.
In the landscapes of Partakoski one can also find the ”Ruhtinaanmaja” Villa, built by Prince A. Barjatinsky in 1885. The villa was built high up on Patterinmäki hill and was later used as a primary school, among others.